- Plenty of fluids
- Hot lemon and honey (not suitable for those aged under 1)
- Over the counter remedies to ease symptoms (ask your pharmacist)
When should I book a GP?
You should see a GP if:
- you have had a cough for more than 3 weeks (persistent cough)
- your cough is very bad or quickly gets worse – for example, you have a hacking cough or cannot stop coughing
- you feel very unwell
- you have chest pain
- you’re losing weight for no reason
- the side of your neck feels swollen and painful (swollen glands)
- you find it hard to breathe
- you have a weakened immune system – for example, because of chemotherapy or diabetes
- See a GP urgently if you’re coughing up blood.